Thursday, August 31, 2006

Sinning

It is a sin to look at noisy data without averaging. Yet I cannot help but notice that my weight today is 152.8 lbs, down from an average of 156 between August 8 and August 25. The body fat is 18.1% down from a 18.6% computed over the same period.

It is not completely a sin. There is a correlation between the amount of food one ate the day before and the weight in the morning, even if this correlation is not perfect as it depends on the amount of dehydration. In any case, because of this correlation, I get direct feedback, both negative and positive. If I ate a lot the night before, I see within ten hours. Without an obsessive weight recording program, it would take several months before I would see the effects of drifting eating habits.

Skinny Bunny is tempted to throw the towel. Please, Skinny Bunny, don't do that. You are my motivation and my inspiration.

Establishing a new routine is the second most difficult endeavor in one's life. I am French and hence grew up without hygiene. You can imagine how hard it was to learn to floss everyday. I am still fighting for it. It is precisely because it is so hard that I need to have a daily task in my Outlook to remind me to do it. The only routine that I have been able to establish firmly is to look at my due tasks on Outlook everyday. Call this the mother-of-all-routines.

Getting rid of a well-established routine is the first most difficult endeavor in one's life: thought patterns, behaviors in relationships, nail-biting. How much would I give to be a blank slate and only have to establish new routines rather than getting rid of old ones.

Last night, I had some 'soy chips' before leaving the office. It is a slippery slope, as the real chips are less than a foot away. When one extends one's hand, who is in control of what it will grab?

Skinny Bunny, we will get together to the promisedland of low girth. Only twenty-five more days to go.

No comments: