Monday, September 04, 2006

Friendly Claws

Under Skinny Bunny's watch, home fries are but a decorative element on a plate. In the evening, however, without her, without N. who has left for Washington DC this morning, sharing the dinner table with six people, two lobsters and a crab, and not in a talkative mood, I feasted and regretted it at each bite.

Skinny Bunny asked why she eats. Most of the time, I snub a question that starts with 'why', following the precept I learned in acting class once: 'Never ask why, because you can ask why forever.' The question, however, can lead to charming and even touching narratives. Skinny Bunny's was such a narrative. And I felt she was right.

Enough time wasted with this 'why' nonsense. 'How' is the question. Eat more slowly, put down your fork between bites, recite 'Pater Noster' every two, and sing 'La Marseillaise' in its entirety and in full voice every four. That should be enough to discourage me from overeating. And never again a friendly lobster or crab at my table.

Time to go to bed. I have been toying with the idea of going running every morning at 6:45am for two reservoir rounds. Nice toy.

No comments: